Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hypebeasts, We Know About You

Greetings,

When Air Jordan's were first introduced, they weren't a novelty like they are now. For years, people could walk into their local Footlocker and find any shoe they wanted in their size - some even on the clearance rack. A few decades go by and Nike realizes that sneakerheads want those retro Jordan's again. So they make a limited quantity and re-release them. This is when the look of collecting changed. People no longer could get any shoe in any size they wanted. So what did the collectors do? They started buying shoes in whatever size they could get their hands on. You wear a size 13 but could only get a 10? Buy it. Wear an 11.5 but could fit in a 10.5 if you had to? Cop those quick. I think it's kind of silly, but if that's how people want to collect, go for it. 

Another thing that changed collecting shoes: internet hype. I'm going to be completely honest - there are some ugly shoes that are released. If you need an example look up any Jeremy Scott x adidas collaboration, or even the Jordan XV. But the crazy thing is that these shoes still sell out within a few hours of releasing. Why? Hype over them. People don't like them because they look good. People like them because they're limited. They like them because other people say they like them. They no longer buy because it's a shoe they're in to, they buy because only a few thousand pairs are available. These people are called Hypebeasts (I didn't name them, don't worry).

I don't fall under the modern sneakerhead category. I buy shoes in my size. I buy the shoes I like. But the weird thing is that I am in the minority in the sneaker community. 

The modern sneakerhead is something that is applicable in the real world. Unfortunately, people are highly influenced by others' opinions. People willingly share their opinion, and typically it's when it wasn't asked for. Strangers and friends alike will openly tell you that they don't like you doing this or that, that they think something is ugly, or that they think it's a waste of money. I run into this on a daily basis. If you are not exactly like someone else, many times people will tell you that they don't like something you have an interest in because they don't get it. 

You're probably wondering now what this has to do with anything. Well here it is. Every person is made differently. No two people are the same. Each person has different passions than the next. For me, I love basketball, music, shoes, clothing, the list goes on and on. But if I asked you what your passions and interests are, they would look differently. So why are we so rude to people who like different things? I think because it's easy to make fun of someone who is different. Here's what I want to challenge you with. Do you. Let others do them. Let each person be who they were created to be. God created each and every one of us to have different interests so that we can reach people in different circles of life. So why tear someone down and discourage what they like? Maybe they will lead someone to Jesus who will start the next revival.

I appreciate you reading this. Always honored that you would take some time to read something written by myself. If you would like to know about the God I love, please contact me. I'm always willing to talk. Be easy on others.

Mahal, 

Nathan

Twitter: @Nathan_A_Jones
Instagram: Nathan_A_Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment