Sunday, August 3, 2014

Restock

Greetings,

There is one word in the sneaker culture that gets people running to their computers, texting their friends, checking their bank accounts, taking extra long breaks at work, mentioning friends on Twitter. That word: RESTOCK. Here's a little insight into the sneaker world. Shoes are released typically on Friday or Saturday mornings at 8:00 am ET (6:00 am for myself). If that shoe sells out (which happens a majority of the time, and quickly), that shoe is no longer available for retail price. The only way to get your hands on a pair is to buy from a reseller, who inflates the price to make a profit. And that's only if you can find your size. But, there could be another chance at copping those kicks. A twitter account could tweet a link with the word "RESTOCK" and the excitement ensues. Getting a pair is still difficult, requires you to be on the ball 24/7 365, and there's no guarantee that the shoe that you are looking for will ever be restocked, but it still provides some hope. 

Being a part of the sneaker culture, it makes me wonder why the word "restock" creates so much anticipation for myself, yet very few other words have the same effect. I'm going to be real with you: that word creates more excitement than a lot of words in the Bible. And that's a battle I have to fight daily. Unfortunately, the words in 2 Peter 5:7, John 16:33, Jeremiah 29:11, and countless other verses don't have that effect on me all the time. Don't get me wrong, at times of my life, those are the words I cling to, but why don't I do that all the time? Maybe you can relate? Words like "sale," "clearance," "exclusive," "limited," etc. get you stoked. 

This hit me. I mention friends when I hear restock. I text others to make sure they know the news. I retweet tweets to talk about my excitement and say which shoes I plan on copping. Why don't I text my friends when I hear that someone accepted Jesus as their Savior? Why don't I tweet about my excitement when I hear someone say that God did amazing things on a mission trip or church camp? Why don't I retweet someone's tweets talking about how God healed someone or someone turned their life around?

I'm being pretty transparent here. It's easy for us as humans to get hype over something that you can gain out of it. Whether that's meeting your max goal in bench press to talking about how great you did on a test to tweeting your support of an up-and-coming artist who just put out a single that hit iTunes top 20. And none of that is always bad. What I'm challenging myself with is to get more excited when I hear things about the Kingdom. Will you join me?

As always, I am honored that you would take a minute to read this. Hoping that through this page the Kingdom is furthered and that God is glorified. As always, I'm open to any feedback and conversation. Tell me what you like, what you dislike, what you're encouraged by. Appreciate you giving me a few minutes out of your day. 

Mahal,

Nathan

Twitter: @Nathan_A_Jones
Instagram: Nathan_A_Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment