Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Limited Release

Greetings,

Have you ever had to do something and had a limited window of time to do it? I know you have. Whether it's a school paper that you procrastinated on and had to do by midnight (guilty) or had to get to a meeting but finish a presentation before you leave, our lives are constantly pressed for time. Well, the sneaker industry works the same. I'm writing this post on a Saturday night and thinking about how I could have gotten up at 5:45 this morning to pick up a pair of Jordan 6's. One thing that most people won't know about the sneaker culture is that there are two kinds of releases: general and limited. General release shoes are the typical team shoes or shoes you can find at your local Footlocker or Champs (Hyperdunks, Frees, Crazy Lights, Roshes, etc). Those shoes don't typically sell out, and if they do, they are restocked fairly quickly (there are exceptions, full other story). Then there are the limited releases. This is what a lot of people don't know about. Every brand has shoes that come out in a limited quantity, and most of the brands do this on a weekly basis. These shoes sell out typically very quick. Why? Well it could be because of a collaboration (Ronnie Fieg x Asics), a brand new shoe to create hype over the upcoming general release colorways (Kobe 9 elite low "Beethoven"), or a retro Jordan people have been waiting to be released (black cement 4's). People camp out at shoe stores to get them (look up the Supreme x Foamposite release earlier this year), and there have even been shootings because people cut in line or get shoes that someone else couldn't get (again, a whole different story, may make an appearance later). Most normal people (I fall under this category) will wake up for an 8:00 am EST launch of shoes on a website and attempt to purchase a pair of shoes that sell out within an hour tops from the comfort of their own home. Those Jordan's I thought about getting this morning sold out in a half hour according to @NikeStore. So sneakerheads work with a short time window on a weekly basis. And don't even get me started on restocks. 

The limited amount of time a shoe is available for got me thinking. A specific pair of shoes could be available for less than an hour. Okay, could be a big deal. But our lives are only available for an average of American is 79.8 years (according to Wikipedia, has to be true). Now that's a big deal. If I know that one of my friends hasn't gotten the pair that we both were going after and I see his size pop up on the website, I shoot him a text as quickly as possible so he has a chance to get them. But how often do I do something like that in a spiritual sense? How often do I let someone know that the life they are living isn't glorifying God, or is? How often do I spread the good news of Jesus as quickly as I spread the news of a restock or a shoe still available? Man, the more I write for the pages on Sneakers & a Savior, the more I learn about myself. 

Life is short. Are we as Christians holding on to what we have hope in? Are we holding on to the way to Heaven? And if you are a nonbeliever reading this, do you want to know about this hope that I have? Would you like to find freedom, have your chains broken, and have a peace like never before? If you fall under those last two questions, please contact me. I'm available 24/7. 

As always, thank you for reading this. I sincerely appreciate you taking a minute to read an article by myself. While I don't always mention the verses, all of my articles are backed by Scripture. Let me know if you would like the verses I use for any of my posts to make sure this blog stays biblically backed and I would be more than happy to give you them and explain my intentions behind it. If any of these strike a chord, feel free to share this blog. I have faith that God can and will do something through all of us if we are willing. Live life as if you have 35 minutes to purchase a pair of shoes. 

Mahal,

Nathan

Twitter: @Nathan_A_Jones
Instagram: Nathan_A_Jones
sneakersandasavior@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Great post Nathan! And such a poignant question to ask ourselves! With the craziness of life, work, kids and the hype of shoe sales, it's so important for us to remember why we are here!

    ReplyDelete